Thursday, August 20, 2009

Potty Training Take 2

Jasper was potty trained for about a month this winter until he decided he wanted to wear diapers and, in his words, "be a baby again." We didn't fight him and just took a several month break. Two weeks ago, we started up again with the same technique as last time. We 'threw away' all his pull ups and had a big boy breakfast picnic, and I followed him around for a couple of days and took him to the potty everytime he went. By the third day, he went potty all by himself! He's been getting treats, a prize from the potty treasure chest or a balloon as a reward, though now he doesn't expect a reward. We're still working on that #2, though! He's had all sorts of issues since he went back to pullups after the first go around. He's now getting 1-2 prunes a day, plus prune juice mixed with his other juice and a small dose of Miralax daily. We had success in the potty tonight and he seemed excited about it, so hopefully that is a good sign. We've been telling him for months that whenever he's ready to pee and poo in the big potty and keep his undies dry all the time, he can have a 'Big Boy Bouncy Party.' (He loves going to Bremen Bounce, which has several of the big blow up jumping things.) He has remembered that and even talked about it occassionally in the 'off season.' After he went tonight, I told him that after one more time in the potty, I thought we'd be ready to plan our party. He said, "I don't have to poop more, I just went, Mom!"

No comments: