Friday, August 7, 2009

Family Vacation

NOT MANY PICTURES YET - Mom and Heidi took photos, that I haven't gotten yet. When I do I'll put them with this post.

We had a great mini-vacation over the weekend. We left Friday morning with my parents, Colin and Heidi. Our first stop was at Bickels CafĂ© and Catering in Anderson. It was a cute little local restaurant with great food. Jasper’s favorite part of the meal was the “bickel”berry pie. It was cute to hear him say it. Then we headed to Summit Lake State Park where we played on the playground, walked to the lake and fished with my dad’s remote control boat. Jasper that it was very cool – and he thought it was really fun to touch the fish we caught (I was ‘driving’ the remote controlled boat when we caught the fish!) We rented 2 rowboats and took them out on the lake. Jasper wore his new life jacket. Josh, Heidi, Jasper and I were in one boat and Colin and Mom and Dad in another. We claimed defective paddles, because we kept drifting to one side. Jasper really liked the boat and enjoyed seeing the ducks and crane. Then we headed to the hotel to get checked in. We went on a long search for a restaurant for dinner but ended up with a great choice of a local ribs and seafood place. When we got back, Jasper, Heidi, Colin and I went swimming. Jasper was getting braver in his floaty swimsuit (it has a floaty built in.) That night Jasper was up until nearly 11 with only about a 15 minute nap the entire day, but he was a trooper! The next day, we went to a fantastic breakfast at a local pancake house. Jasper was pumped about the Mickey Mouse pancake. We then headed to the Indianapolis Zoo. Jasper got to see some animals he’d never seen before –giraffes, rhinos, a komodo dragon (which he was really excited about the whole time– though I think he thought it was going to breathe fire!) and dolphins. He LOVED the dolphin show and especially liked when they jumped out of the water and hit the ball hanging from the ceiling with their noses. We went back to the hotel for a brief rest and then headed to Symphony on the Prairie – it was looking a little dreary, so Mom and Dad pulled out the emergency ponchos and rain suits (they are always prepared!) We stopped off at Marsh to pick up our picnic dinners ( a great deal!) The prairie was PACKED, but we found a decent spot and enjoyed our dinner and the music of the Beatles. Jasper did a few of his “new moves” for us. It was a good time. We got back to the hotel late, and went straight to bed. Sunday, we ate what I don’t think could be classified as a continental breakfast (a couple bagels, some jelly, one package of cream cheese, some white bread, one container of cheerios and a carafe of milk and a toaster) and then Jasper and I took a swim. I would tell him what number to count to and then when he got to that number I would lift him up in the air and splash him back down in the pool. He was counting very well – up to 14 every time with no mistakes. After swimming, showering, getting dressed and packed, we headed to Muncie for Ribfest. Josh was sporting his fluorescent orange Ribfest T-shirt from 2002. We ate, looked at some of the booths, and Jasper jumped in the kids bouncy toys. Then we went to Incredible Yogurt (Josh and my favorite Muncie location!) before Josh, Japser and I headed home and Mom, Dad, Colin and Heidi headed to Peru. Jasper was so good the whole time, so we stopped at Wal-mart on the way home and let him pick out a toy. He chose a Diego toy that he insists is a bath toy. He loves it.

No comments: